Nocturnal Woman

Atlantic Canada’s sultry songstress Karen Myatt speaks about her career and about her performance this evening at Nocturne; Art at Night in Halifax.

When and why did you first become involved with music?
I come from a very musical family, but my Grandmother is the main culprit here. Growing up with a woman who taught herself to play the piano at the age of 13 meant many a sing-along and is the reason I have such a love and connection to the American Songbook and jazz standards. She still plays the same piano by ear to this very day; over 80 years later.

Are they the same reasons you do it today?
My Grandmother's influence and the influence of the music she played remains with me as an artist. Much of the material I sing is reminiscent of the Golden Era and the great vocalists I grew up listening to. Now, I get to explore some of the same music but with my interpretation and collaboration with some brilliant musicians.

What are the challenges of the vocation?
A huge challenge for me and many artists, I believe, is balancing business with art. We have a product to promote and sell. Yet it is easy to forget this as we focus so intensely on honing our craft, creating, rehearsing... The discipline it takes to work on our art is the same discipline we need when it comes to contracts, publicity, sales... Not only are we artists, but businessmen!

What are the rewards?
How to narrow this down? Making music is such a joyful experience, for the musicians and (hopefully) the listeners! But I think a real gift as a singer is that constant opportunity for growth and re-creation. The ability to wipe the slate clean or to climb the next rung on the ladder, I never stop learning, studying, growing.

What have been some career highlights?
My favorite aspect of my career is the variety of performance styles I've been a part of. In New York, I've had some unique opportunities like singing in quirky improv shows in charming little theatres, or on the Town Hall stage in the showcase; "Broadway's Rising Stars." In Halifax I've enjoyed the stage at Neptune Theatre, an incredibly fun cabaret series with writing partner Stuart Hiseler, and have begun my solo jazz career, performing with the Rhapsody Quintet, and recording my first album with the wonderful trio of Holly Arsenault, David Langstroth and Brock Caldwell.

How did you get involved with Nocturne this year?
Earlier this year, David Langstroth of the Rhapsody Quintet mentioned to me that he was arranging the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album for the group. I was instantly intrigued and very eager to hear when and where it may take place, not fully realizing I may be involved myself! Needless to say it was an honor when he asked me to join them for the performance.

What can audiences expect from your performance?
This is a very special performance. The orchestral elements of this classic album lend themselves so perfectly to the Quintet, especially with David's master arrangements. The sound is beautiful and haunting, but it rocks too! Some songs are instrumental and some with voice and the finale will be danced by Ballet Jorgen. This piece is very moving. It is so cool to see and hear all of these artists "come together" (no? anyone?) to present this classic Beatles music.

Why is it an important event for the community?
The Nocturne Festival brings together many forms of art, performance, exhibitions which are presented in a completely accessible way. The public has an opportunity to experience art in a unique, interactive, and open environment. This festival makes art available to everyone, and builds the community.

What are your thoughts on the state of the arts in Halifax/Atlantic Canada?
There is no lack of art in this part of the world. Quality top-notch artists work and reside here. Sometimes, the difficulty here is reaching the public, growing audiences and therefore the community. Finding ways to get more people excited about art in Atlantic Canada, we need to continue to encourage and fund festivals like Nocturne that make new and live art accessible for all.

What's next on your creative agenda?
Looking forward to appearing in A Christmas Carol at Neptune Theatre this holiday season! I’m also continuing production on my debut cd; "Enchanté" and planning a launch in Halifax for early 2014.

Karen Myatt, with Rhapsody Quintet and Ballet Jorgen
Tonight at The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia in Halifax
6pm-11pm

Popular Posts